Cooling Systems Communicating on AT&T’s Network Offer a Sustainable Solution to the Utility Industry
WINDSOR, Colo., Feb. 28, 2012 /PRNewswire/ — Efficiency and flexibility are key components to growth for many of today’s businesses. A company that meets the demand for growth, while offering a sustainable solution that is unique, simple, and adaptable, is a rare gem to find. Ice Energy, a business out of Windsor, Colorado is doing just that.
Ice Energy provides an energy storage solution for the utility industry consisting of ice machines mounted on top of medium to large-size commercial buildings. These ice machines, known as Ice Bear units, offer an alternative to power-guzzling air conditioning systems. The Ice Bear system works in conjunction with AC units by generating ice at night and cooling buildings during the hottest hours of the day.
Now, Ice Energy’s machines are getting even more efficient, thanks to machine-to-machine (M2M) services from AT&T*. Using AT&T’s Enterprise On-Demand platform – a custom web portal that controls wireless device inventory – Ice Energy is able to remotely manage, monitor, and diagnose every Ice Bear unit installed. Each Ice Bear system wirelessly connects to a router with an embedded SIM that transmits real-time information on the status and performance of each ice unit. This data is instantly available to Ice Energy on any web-enabled device.
Benefits to Ice Energy
- Immediate visibility into Ice Bear machines – a critical business asset.
- Ability to remotely control, program, and adjust any Ice Bear machine, saving time and freeing up resources.
- Scalability for the company, which can now adapt to higher levels of demand and deploy more Ice Bear units at a decreased cost.
- Simplified service provisioning and billing for the system.
“Having instant access and control to the performance of our systems is a key benefit to our business,” said Brian Parsonnet, Chief Technology Officer, Ice Energy. “Is the system freezing water at night? Is it connecting properly to the AC units? Do we need to issue any trouble tickets? Should we change any diagnostics? This sort of information is invaluable to running fast and effective operations.”
AT&T’s M2M solutions allow companies like Ice Energy to sense issues with equipment, analyze the problem, and respond to the situation in a quick and cost-effective manner. By working with M2M providers and technology adopters alike, AT&T helps lead the emergence of the real-time, adaptive business.
According to ABI Research(1), “Cumulative cellular M2M connections will rise from about 110 million connections in 2011 to approximately 365 million connections by 2016.”
For more information on Ice Energy and its Ice Bear system, please view this video: http://www.ice-energy.com/product-overview-video. And to learn about AT&T’s M2M solutions, watch “Transform Your Business: Everything Connected“.
(1) Source: ABI Research, Cellular M2M Connectivity Services, December 30, 2011.
*AT&T products and services are provided or offered by subsidiaries and affiliates of AT&T Inc. under the AT&T brand and not by AT&T Inc.
AT&T Inc. (NYSE: T) is a premier communications holding company and one of the most honored companies in the world. Its subsidiaries and affiliates – AT&T operating companies – are the providers of AT&T services in the United States and around the world. With a powerful array of network resources that includes the nation’s fastest mobile broadband network, AT&T is a leading provider of wireless, Wi-Fi, high speed Internet, voice and cloud-based services. A leader in mobile broadband and emerging 4G capabilities, AT&T also offers the best wireless coverage worldwide of any U.S. carrier, offering the most wireless phones that work in the most countries. It also offers advanced TV services under the AT&T U-verse® and AT&T |DIRECTV brands. The company’s suite of IP-based business communications services is one of the most advanced in the world. In domestic markets, AT&T Advertising Solutions and AT&T Interactive are known for their leadership in local search and advertising.
Additional information about AT&T Inc. and the products and services provided by AT&T subsidiaries and affiliates is available at http://www.att.com. This AT&T news release and other announcements are available at http://www.att.com/newsroom and as part of an RSS feed at www.att.com/rss. Or follow our news on Twitter at @ATT.
© 2012 AT&T Intellectual Property. All rights reserved. Mobile broadband not available in all areas. AT&T, the AT&T logo and all other marks contained herein are trademarks of AT&T Intellectual Property and/or AT&T affiliated companies. All other marks contained herein are the property of their respective owners.
SOURCE AT&T Inc.
- IoT Evolution Developers Conference Provides Hands-On IoT Design and Development Training - March 29, 2015
- M2M Event Features Competitions, Awards and Learning Opportunities - January 14, 2015
- AT&T, Cisco, Sprint, GE, Google Access Share Insight at M2M Evolution Conference & Expo - July 22, 2014
- 2014 M2M Evolution Asset Tracking Award Winners Announced - July 10, 2014
- IQMS’ Automation Group Wins Product Engineering Team of the Year - June 27, 2014
- NetCracker Receives 2014 Cable Spotlight Product of the Year Award - June 16, 2014
- GateTel Adds m2mAIR Mobile Network and Value-Added Services to its Portfolio of Telit-Based M2M Solutions - June 16, 2014
- The 4th Annual Telematics China Summit 2014 - June 13, 2014
- Chicken Coops and M2M what is all about? - May 10, 2014
- Maestro Wireless Solutions today announces at CeBIT Australia its newest cellular router, the E200 Series - May 5, 2014